Drills let you practice Action Alerts (known in some organizations as code red alerts).
Drills in CatapultEMS differ from real Action Alerts in a few ways:
- The webpage says "Drill Mode" and the alerts sent to staff say "This Is a Drill!"
- You can limit drills to specific groups of staff (such as Site Safety Team only).
- You must resolve any open incidents before starting the drill.
- District Safety Team accounts do not receive alerts for drills initiated by the Site Safety Team. However, District Safety Team can include their team if they initiate the drill mode. Important: For real Action Alerts, CatapultEMS notifies the District Safety Team and District First Responders regardless of who initiated the alert.
- Sign in to CatapultEMS.com using a Safety Team account.
- If you are on a Site Safety Team and only assigned to one site, skip this step. If you are on the District Safety Team, choose All Sites > name of site.
- If the site has any open incidents resolve them.
- Choose Initiate Drill Mode.
- Check all boxes (assuming to want to include everyone). Remember: If you only choose Staff, that does not send the alert to Other Staff, Substitutes, Site Safety Team, or First Responders. To see who is in each of these groups, Cancel drill mode, choose Manage Site Users and review the tabs for each group.
- Choose Initiate Drill Mode.
- Notice the blue bar across the top of the webpage says "Drill Mode" followed by the groups of people included in the drill.
- Choose Action Alert (code red).
- If this was an urgent emergency you might choose the Action, then choose Send Alert Now to notify all users immediately. You would then update the alert as soon as you can, to provide the necessary details. From the dashboard, choose Action Alert Detail (Code Red Detail) > Update Action Alert (Update Code Red).
- If you have a minute, choose Provide Detail.
- Fill in the Action Alert details.
- Action: Choose the appropriate action type for your drill (e.g. Lockdown).
- Type: Choose something mild (such as Suspicious Activity) to avoid unnecessary worry among people who miss that it is a drill.
- Location: Enter where the incident is taking place. Be specific enough for emergency responders to quickly get to the correct place.
- Period: If you are at a school with periods, select the correct period to ensure teachers see their assign students.
- Details: Enter any additional details you want to send with the alert message.
- Choose Initiate Action Alert (code red).
- Answer the questions as prompted. (For example, what is your status, location, do you have students with you, etc.)
- On the dashboard, explore all the buttons to discover the available features. See Action Alert dashboard for details.
- Assign one member of the Site Safety Team to mark students absent. For the duration of the drill, monitor the Safety Team Chat, Staff Messages, Staff Status, and Students.
- When you are satisfied with the drill, choose Resolve Action Alert (Resolve Code Red).
- Describe how the Action Alert was resolved. Provide enough details to assure staff that it is safe to return to work/school. For some school districts, it asks about your student information system. The question reminds you to record relevant details in that system (for example, an incident regarding student behavior). For a drill choose No.
- Choose Close Action Alert (Close Code Red).
- If you are not immediately starting another drill choose End Drill Mode > End Drill. That way CatapultEMS is ready for a real alert.
On the dashboard choose Report History to review any completed drills, incidents, and alerts.