This article will show you how to create a new public Google calendar to use on your website.
Catapult has the ability to stack multiple calendars, so you can make one calendar per website or multiple calendars for different groups, and you can display all or some on the same calendar in Catapult. For example: District Calendar, Board Calendar, Athletics Calendar, etc. are popular choices and can feed into your homepage or operate separately. For multiple calendars, make sure you remember to enter events on the correct calendar in the future.
How to Make a New Google Calendar
- Sign in to google.com, click the 9-dot icon at top right, then click the CALENDAR button to open your calendar.
- In the left panel, click the + button beside Other Calendars to add a new calendar
- A Settings window opens with a form for you to CREATE NEW CALENDAR.
Add an appropriate NAME and DESCRIPTION, choose your correct TIME ZONE, and click CREATE CALENDAR.
- The new calendar will now appear on your Google Calendar page under MY CALENDARS. Click the 3 dots to the right of the name and choose SETTINGS AND SHARING in the dropdown.
- The CALENDAR SETTINGS window will open. Scroll down to ACCESS PERMISSIONS and check MAKE AVAILABLE TO PUBLIC. Leave SEE ALL EVENT DETAILS selected.
For your protection, Catapult won't sync with any calendar that is private, so you don't have to worry about any other calendars getting synced by accident.
Share Your Calendar
You can share your new calendar with anyone who needs to add or edit events, etc.
- Click GET SHAREABLE LINK (see illustration above). A window will pop up with a url. Click COPY LINK.
- Under SHARE WITH SPECIFIC PEOPLE, click ADD PEOPLE.
- In the new window that opens, you can type in the email address of the people you want to share with and give them the proper sharing permissions.
Now you and the people you have given access to are free to make events on the new calendar at any time!